12 October 2006

Kniphofia 'Little Maid'

What a tough little beauty this is. Flowers reliably no matter the conditions; rain or drought it really doesn't care too much. I began with one plant and have now grown a long row underneath a Silky Oak, plus placed clumps strategically throughout the garden. In this particular spot I wanted the combination of yellow and orange the tree and the pokers made at this time of the year. I had a row of dear little pokers in front of this which were a lovely orange, called Kniphofia 'Orange Butter', but most of them died during the last dry spell. I still have a few so the potential for increasing and building on my theme is still there.

After the pokers finish I have little orange and yellow Cosmos self sowing through. They are lovely too. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Hello Christine

    It's lucky that you live so far away from me or I'd be begging you for the stems of your pokers when they die. Did you know that they make the most wonderful paper! It's a fabulous darkish brown colour. I beg dead stems from any of my friends who grow these flowers!
    cecilia (from the Duckpond)

    ReplyDelete