5 January 2012

Spiranthes sinensis ssp. australis


2011 was a terrific year for native orchids. 

We had so much rain here on the Central Coast coupled with mild sunshine that the plants went wild.  I have spent many hours studying photographs of orchids in my reference books so when I saw a flash of pink  among the yellow Cat's Ears I knew what it was -  Spiranthes sinensis ssp australis.  It's a delicate little beauty, each tiny flower a combination of lolly pink and white. 



You would think they would be easy to spot out there in the paddock but not so.  Somehow the pink manages to vanish into the long grasses and other flowers.













Its common name is Austral Ladies' Tresses which is interesting because I am the only lady I know with bright pink hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment